An old shoemaker lived in the Clifton caves and as the farmers used to pass on their way to sell produce in Cape Town, he would mend their shoes.
In 1890, it was renamed after the lady who ran the only hotel in the area, Bessie Clifton. By 1990 holidaymakers made 'Clifton-on-Sea' their summer vacation destination.
The wind free beaches were even then an ideal venue and as time went on the vacationers created small wooden beach houses.
These sites were leased from the Cape Town City Council over the summer months but were never sold off as freehold. This did not stop the predictable campers returning each year to enjoy what 'Clifton-on-Sea' had to offer.